Sunday, November 06, 2005

In the machine

Eh, what a weekend....

I went to a funeral today. It was very sad. My wife's classmate had died of cancer, she was very very young. Simply tragic, within a few short days she was given a grim prognosis and was taken from us. Peace be with her and her family.

So, it took all this to make me realize that we're all just trying to live in this big machine. It's a struggle on three fronts, social, economic, spiritual, but we all must do it. It's neither fair nor easy. All we really want to do is Live.

If you ever get a chance, check out the movie "To Live." It's based on the lives of this Chinese couple who live through the communist revolution and into the latter part of the twentieth century. It's probably one of the more poignant illustrations of how our basic human desires are often at odds with the flow of society and perhaps even how misguided societies can become. We're all trying to survive in this system, and it's a system that's often at odds with our desires. I decided to rename the blog to "Man in the Machine" to highlight this sentiment. Perhaps something good will come of this.

Deep down, I wish to fellowship with my family and friends forever. I want to walk and talk with them. I want these things, but all I do is work myself to death, chasing emptiness and vanity. The writer of Eccelesiastes was right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Aleksey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home